My ear hurts and it feels full. This has been going on for 2 weeks. My jaw does not pop though. How do I know whether or not I have TMJ or an ear infection? Thx. Thomas
Thomas – There are multiple symptoms that you may or may not have with TMJ. A list of possible symptoms is below, but remember that you don’t have to have be experiencing all of the symptoms:
- Pain in or around your ear
- Headaches and neck aches
- Difficulty opening and closing your mouth
- Clicking or popping noises when you open your mouth
- Jaw pain or soreness that is worse in the morning or late afternoon
- Jaw pain when you chew, bite or yawn
- Tender jaw muscles
- Sensitive teeth when no dental problems are found
Although you may not be experiencing all of these symptoms, common symptoms of an ear infection in adults are:
- Ear pain
- Drainage of fluid from the ear
- Diminished hearing
The only way to be certain of what condition you have is to see a healthcare professional. If you think you may have TMJ, make an appointment with a TMJ dentist. Otherwise, make an appointment with your doctor.
This post is sponsored by Colorado Springs dentist Dr. Joseph Rota.